San Diego State Basketball is the number one topic on San Diego Sports Domination year round. With articles from Sports Illustrated and other college basketball websites emerging I figured why not go more in-depth with San Diego State. According to a recent article published by Sports Illustrated New Mexico is the favorite to win the Mountain West Conference in 2014. Sports Illustrated picked Boise State, San Diego State and UNLV to challenge New Mexico for the MW Conference Championship.
Keep in mind that the Aztecs have a new recruiting and assistant coach this season in Justin Hutson. Do you remember the 34-3 season? Coach Hutson was in charge of the defensive scheme that season. The Aztecs have already changed the way they are defending. The guys will be attacking hard on defense causing them to tire out more frequently. We will see increased minutes from the Aztec bench playing because of the new defensive scheme.
San Diego State non-conference schedule via MWCConnection:
Holiday Tournament – Wooden Legacy: Arizona St, Creighton, Marquette, Miami, George Washington, Charleston and CS Fullerton
Non-Conference – Arizona, Washington and Kansas
- Jamaal Franklin
- Chase Tapley
- James Rahon
- DeShawn Stephens
- Josh Davis (Transfer): Averaged 17.6 points and 10.7 rebounds a game last season for the Green Wave (Tulane).
- Angelo Chol (Transfer): Unfortunately Chol will be sitting out the 2013/14 season.
- Dakari Allen (Freshman):
- D’Erryl Williams (Freshman):
Key Returning Starters:
- Xavier Thames (Senior): 9.5 (PPG average), 2.7 (RBG average)
- JJ O’Brien (Junior): 7.2 (PPG average), 4.5 (RBG average)
- Winston Shepard (sophomore): 5.7 (PPG average), 3.5 (RBG average) Shepard showed some signs of greatness last season as he started 10 games. I believe that the 2013/14 season will be his coming out party.
Flying Under the Radar:
- Skylar Spencer (sophomore): Set a Mountain West Conference Record for the most blocks by a freshman in a single season.
- Dwayne Polee II (Junior): 2.8 (PPG average), 1.9 (RPG average), 1.8 (SPG average) and (0.4 BPG average). Keep in mind Polee only played in 11 games last season only averaging 9.4 minutes per game. Polee will replace Jamaal Franklin as the dunk champion.
- Matt Shrigley (sophomore): Shrigley decided to red shirt last season due to a lack of possible playing time. Shrigley is the AZTECS SECRETE WEAPON for the 2013/14 season. Shrigley has many upsides including rebounding and shooting. He is one of the best shooters SDSU has had in sometime. Shrigley will have four seasons of eligibility.
Matt Shrigley will become a stud in this league. He is the athletic replacement for James Rahon. – Team Source
- James Johnson (Junior): Johnson was over hyped by the local media just like Winston Shepard. Johnson’s major weakness last season was his lack of mobility. Expect Johnson to be more active this upcoming season. Johnson is expected to back up Davis and Spencer at the five position (Center).
“James Johnson has put in tons of hours in the gym during this off season. He has become the “Kawhi Leonard” of the weight room.” – Team Source
Aqeel Quinn (Junior): Quinn transferred to SDSU after the 2011/2012 season. These are his stats as a starter at Cal State Northridge: 6.8 (PPG average), 2.1 (RPG average) and 1.7 (APG average).
Height of the 2013/14 team:
You can tell the Aztecs are going to have height on their side next season: 6-5, 6-9, 6-8, 6-9, 6-7, 6-7, 6-8, 6-6, 6-9, 6-3, 6-3 and 6-3.
The last part of this article is going to deal with starting line ups. We are going to talk about lineups against small and big rotations. For those who have no clue what I am talking about that is ok. We are talking about when opposing teams decide to play small ball or decide to go with height.
Small Line Up
1 – Xavier Thames
2 – Matt Shrigley
3 – JJ O’Brien
4 – Josh Davis
5 – Skylar Spencer
Big Line Up:
1 – Winston Shepard
2 – Matt Shrigley
3 – Dakari Allen
4 – Dwayne Polee
5 – Josh Davis
PS: We love user comments please feel free to comment in the comment box!