Welcome to the 2014 Fall semester at San Diego State University and the first Aztec football game of the season. San Diego Sports Domination was named one of the best college athletic blogs in United States last season, one of four blogs on the west coast and the only blog in California to win. One of the reasons our blog won this award was because of our outstanding game previews. We always have the most diverse game previews on the net.
Here are some things that you will see in our previews this season.
- Extensive statistics breakdown
- Scouting reports
- Injury Reports
- Radio Interviews leading up to game day (Interviews will be added this week. Check back in on Friday or Saturday morning)
- Weather Reports
- For bigger games we will have interviews with opposing blogs
- Photos by the one and only Tony Amat
We cannot do a statistical breakdown on both teams since it is only the first game of the season. This season we have partnered with Ticket Monster to give you the best prices on tickets! If you have yet to by your ticket for the game against Northern Arizona University you can do so by clicking on the hyperlink below.
***Please be in your seats by 3:30 p.m. As San Diego State Football will honor San Diego and San Diego State Legend Tony Gwynn. The ceremony will take place at 3:45 p.m.
San Diego State Overall (8-5) Conf (6-2)
This section of the article will normally breakdown how good or how bad the Aztec offensive and defensive units are doing this season. Since this is the first game of the season we can only guess how good the team will be. Based off last season’s performance look for the San Diego State Defense to dominate the run. The Aztecs were one of the best teams against the run last season giving up on average 131.4 yards per game on 27 attempts (3.7 yards per carry).
I believe the Aztecs offensive unit will outperform the Aztecs defensive unit this season. The Aztecs have some of the best linebackers (Josh Gavert, Jake Fely and Derek Largent) in the Mountain West Conference. They have been stung by the injury bug and are not expected to start as a unit until week 6 of the season. Because of the injuries to the San Diego State defense I believe the offense will be the factor in these games. They must score to win. Be on the lookout for big plays by the Aztecs offense. These are your 2014 San Diego State Football Captains Sam Meredith, Terry Poole, Ezell Ruffin and J.J. Whittaker. The top play makers on offense are expected to be Donnel Pumphrey and Ezell Ruffin. The defense players to keep an eye on would be Sam Meredith and J.J. Whittaker until the injured Aztec defense is reunited in week 6. As of now the roster is complete. We could see a few changes with the offensive line but do not expect any major roster changes as big as last season.
vs. Northern Arizona
at. North Carolina
at. Oregon State
at. Fresno State
at. New Mexico
vs. Idaho (Homecoming & KGB Sky Show)
at. Boise State
vs. Air Force
Northern Arizona 9-3 and Conf (7-1)
This Northern Arizona team will remind all San Diego State fans of last season’s unexpected blow out by Eastern Illinois. Northern Arizona also has been bitten with the injury bug like San Diego State but on the offensive side of the ball.
NAU will be without Senior Tight End R.J. Rickert (Rickert, who was named to the CFPA awards list and the All-Big Sky Preseason First Team. Rickert led NAU in both yards and catches last season. Senior Wide Receiver Dejzon Walker was second in both yards and catches last season for NAU. NAU also lost the starting running back from last season due to graduation.
During the 2013 season NAU led the Big Sky Conference in passing defense and pass defense efficiency. Does that mean trouble for the San Diego State Offense? The answer simply stated is no. Four starters graduated from Northern Arizona’s secondary last season. The NAU offense and defense might be playing up to 12 true freshman this season due to losing seniors to graduation. This game will be a blow out because of the amount of injuries on offense. I do not believe NAU will be able to put up points fast enough to deal with our high scoring Aztecs.
at. San Diego State
at. Abilene Christian
vs. New Mexico Highlands
at. South Dakota
vs. Cal Poly
at. Northern Colorado
at. Portland State
vs. Eastern Washington
at. Weber State
vs. UC Davis
at. North Dakota
vs. Southern Utah
Media Interviews and Previews
Mountain West San Diego State Football Preview (CLICK HERE)
GAME DAY INFORMATION
Game information: Kickoff 4:00 p.m. PT San Diego, California.
TV: CBS College Sports
- Alicia Gwynn & Tony Gwynn, Jr. will be on the field and serve as the honorary warrior for this game.
• The first 20,000 fans in attendance will receive Tony Gwynn stickers.
• This is the third time NAU has played SDSU, and NAU has won the games played in 1965 and 1966. BUT IT’S A DIFFERENT DECADE!
Know Your Aztec Traditions: “Traditions are about connecting with all the people who’ve paid a price to get us to where we are now,” Brian Sipe said in 2010. “It’s an important connection that needs to be made.”
1. Warrior Walk – Join the Aztec Marching Band Drumline, Cheer, & Dance Team as they lead the team to the Aztec Warrior Stadium (aka: Qualcomm) from the Team Bus Stop parking lot E-4 heading to E-2—Aztec Fans, Line up before 2pmPT. (FYI-The Team will not walk thru Aztec Village this year.)
2. Aztec Village- Pre Game Tailgate in C1-D1. ALL organized tailgates will be in this space including Associated Students, Champions Circle, AFL, food trucks the Carnival with games, Aztec Gear can be purchased & a LIVE band.
STUDENTS: 2,000 t-shirts will be given away at the student tailgate, located at C1 of the parking lot.
3. Honorary Warrior: will lead the team onto the field and it’s a ceremonial staking of Aztec territory by the “honorary warrior” with a spear at the start of the game.
4. Warrior Shield: will accompany the team on all travels. The shield will be held high by the captains during the singing of the Fight Song following home wins. “The shield is a reminder of the responsibility players have when wearing a red and black uniform,” Coach Brian Sipe said in 2010. “It’s a touchstone that is emblematic of the culture.”
Thank you for visiting our site!
Make sure you are following @SanDiego_Sports on Twitter and San Diego Sports Domination on Facebook for updates and information about San Diego Sports. If you are looking for tickets these are our most popular sports teams.
Please click on this link to purchase San Diego State tickets Get Great Tickets at Ticket Monster!
Please click on this link to purchase San Diego Chargers tickets Get Great Tickets at Ticket Monster!
Please click on this link to purchase San Diego Padres tickets Get Great Tickets at Ticket Monster!