By CoachUp (www.coachup.com)
Sports can have a tremendously positive impact on kids’ lives. A positive experience in sports can benefit a child not only physically, but socially and emotionally. Unfortunately our current youth sports system is leading to a number of preventable injuries. In fact, according to the CDC, more than 3.5 million children under 14 receive medical treatment for sports injuries each year. 2 million injuries a year are suffered by high school athletes.
Keep your young athlete safe, healthy and happy with CoachUp’s top six youth sports safety tips.
1. Health, Sleep and Nutrition. Set your child up for a long, healthy career in sports by making sure they are eating a balanced diet and are sleeping regularly. Always have your child’s annual physical up-to-date, and be diligent with following up on the doctor’s orders, especially for children with conditions like diabetes. Never hesitate to bring your child to the doctor if they are experience pain or feeling ill.
2. Concussion and TBI Awareness. Make sure both you and your athlete are aware of the symptoms of traumatic brain injuries as well as the long term impacts of such injuries. When in doubt, refer to the guidelines outlined by the CDC, and remember to bring your child to a medical professional immediately if you suspect your child might have sustained a TBI.
3. Hydration and Heat Related Illness Awareness. Your child should always be properly hydrated before participating in any physical activity. If your child’s sport is rigorous or performed in high temperatures, both you and your athlete should be aware of the symptoms of heat related illnesses such heat exhaustion and heat stroke.
4. Strength, Conditioning and Flexibility Programs. Particularly for middle to high school athletes, a well-rounded training program is vital for preventing common overuse injuries. Your athlete should be diligent about following the strength and conditioning and flexibility programs their coach prescribes. Your athlete might need some extra support due to existing conditions and injuries or just reviewing proper form, so consider enlisting the help of a private coach to work more closely with your child.
5. Sports Performance Stress Management. As your athlete begins to compete, he will become introduced to the stresses of sports performance. You can help your athlete by making your home a stress-free environment and offering your emotional support. If you think your child is becoming stressed to an unhealthy degree, address the problem with their coach to determine the next best steps to reduce their anxiety.
6. Rest. Never underestimate the power of rest, whether that is a nap, a day off from practice, or a short term break from the sport. Burnout is a very common problem with young athletes. It is important to foster a nurturing relationship so they feel comfortable approaching you if they need a break.
Following these tips will ensure that your athlete will have a long-lasting career and a positive experience in sports for years to come.
CoachUp is a service that connects athletes with private coaches. We believe that private coaching is the secret to reaching the next level in sports + life. Our mission is to help people change their lives through sports and fitness. As the nation’s leading private coaching company, CoachUp has over 13,000 coaches across the country, in everything from basketball and soccer, to fitness and dance. CoachUp helps athletes find the perfect coach, and helps them get the most out of their ongoing training. CoachUp coaches rely on CoachUp to build their web presence, market their services, and manage their business. We are a community inspired by passion, big dreams, hard work, and a love of coaching.
Thank you for visiting our site!
Make sure you are following @SanDiego_Sports on Twitter and San Diego Sports Domination on Facebook for updates and information about San Diego Sports. If you are looking for tickets these are our most popular sports teams.
Please click on this link to purchase San Diego State tickets Get Great Tickets at Ticket Monster!
Please click on this link to purchase San Diego Chargers tickets Get Great Tickets at Ticket Monster!
Please click on this link to purchase San Diego Padres tickets Get Great Tickets at Ticket Monster!