The San Diego State Aztecs will play host tonight to the Colorado State Rams. Tipoff is set for 8:00 pm tipoff at Viejas Arena in San Diego, California. The Aztecs (16-6 & 9-0) will enter tonight’s game as the favorite against Colorado State (12-9 & 4-4). The players to watch in tonight’s game for SDSU are Jeremy Hemsley, Trey Kell, Zylan Cheatham and Winston Shepard. Hemsley enters the game against CSU averaging 12.9 points and 2.7 rebounds and leads the team in assists averaging 2.18 in 22 games this season. Kell enters the game against CSU averaging 10.9 points and 4.3 rebounds in 22 games this season. Shepard enters the game against CSU averaging 10.2 points and 6.2 rebounds in 21 games this season. Cheatham enters the game against CSU averaging 8.8 points and 6.1 rebounds in 22 games this season.
The Aztecs are still trying to improve with shooting from the floor and behind the arc. The Aztecs are shooting 41.3% from the floor and 30.5% from behind the arc. The Aztecs need major improvement in the free throw game but have improved their free throw shooting average to 68.9%. The Aztecs have also been working harder this season on offensive and defensive rebounds. To date the Aztecs have outrebounded opponents 869 to 738. San Diego State’s opponents has been averaging a field goal percentage of just 36.1% and 30% from beyond the arc. The Aztecs have been bringing press on opponents this season thanks to a very deep bench. This has allowed the Aztecs to use the full court press for a majority of every game. Opponents also have to practice playing against the Aztecs dreaded 1-3-1 and 2-3 zone. Expect San Diego State use eight men tonight even though the Aztecs carry 10.
The Rams are the only Mountain West team to out rebound the Aztecs in conference play this season. The Rams totaled 36 rebounds to the Aztecs 30 in a 69 to 62 loss to San Diego State in Fort Collins. The Rams have some height on their team with Fred Richardson III (6-7), Tiel Daniels (6-7), Kimani Jackson (6-8), Emmanuel Omogbo (6-8), Nico Carvacho (6-10), and Toby Van Ry (6-10). The players to watch in tonight’s game for Colorado State are Gian Clavell, Antwan Scott, John Gillon and Emmanuel Omogbo. Gian Clavell enters the game against SDSU averaging 20.8 points and 6.9 rebounds in 10 games this season. Antwan Scott enters the game against SDSU averaging 16.2 points and 4.3 rebounds in 20 games this season. John Gillon enters the game against SDSU averaging 11.8 points and 2.9 rebounds in 21 games this season. Emmanuel Omogbo enters the game against SDSU averaging 10.9 points and 7.0 rebounds in 21 games this season.
Game Notes via (GoAztecs.com):
- The Aztecs have won nine consecutive games, which is tied for the sixth-longest win streak in school history and is currently the sixth-longest active streak in the nation.
- San Diego State has won 11 consecutive Mountain West games (dates back to last season). That is the longest conference win streak in the school’s 95 seasons of basketball.
- The Aztecs are looking to match their best start to a conference season in school history. SDSU, currently 9-0 in league play, is a victory away from tying the 2013-14 squad which opened Mountain West play 10-0.
- San Diego State and Colorado State are meeting for the 78th time, with the Aztecs owning a 39-38 series lead. The Aztecs have won the last three encounters, 17 of the last 20 meetings (17-3) and 22 of the last 26 get-togethers (22-4).
- SDSU has won the last 12 games played between the teams in San Diego.
- * Since Jan. 26, 2013, San Diego State has compiled a 27-1 record in Mountain West home games. During that stretch, the Aztecs have held their opposition to 53.6 points per game and 36.7 percent from the field, including 27.7 percent from three-point distance.
- SDSU has won 159 straight games when leading with five minutes remaining in the game.
Keys for Victory:
San Diego State University:
1) Shoot more than 45% from the floor!
2) Points in the paint!
2) Only shoot 3-point shots that are open!
3) Limit turnovers!
4) Attack the boards !
5) Make free throws
1) Force SDSU to shoot from the perimeter.
2) Force SDSU to commit turnovers.
3) Win the defensive battle of the boards.
4) Try and get SDSU to foul out.
5) Make free throws.
Highlights From Last Match Up
Game Day Information
Game information: Tipoff 8:00 p.m. PT at Viejas Arena in San Diego, California.
ODDS: SDSU by 11.5
TV: ESPN 2
Radio: Mighty 1090
Thank you for visiting our site!
Make sure you are following @SanDiego_Sports on Twitter and San Diego Sports Domination on Facebook for updates and information about San Diego Sports. If you are looking for tickets these are our most popular sports teams.
Please click on this link to purchase San Diego State tickets Get Great Tickets at Ticket Monster!
Please click on this link to purchase San Diego Chargers tickets Get Great Tickets at Ticket Monster!
Please click on this link to purchase San Diego Padres tickets Get Great Tickets at Ticket Monster!